Saturday, October 25, 2014

Planting more bulbs. 10.25.14

Replete Daffodil and Gladiator Allium.

Amaryllis.  I placed it in the sunroom, as an experiment. 

I am pleased that Replete wasn't displayed as a pink daffodil, on the label.  It's more of an apricot color.  I need to plant the rest of the bulbs in a different location.  Now when I dig holes for bulbs, I discover other bulbs, planted earlier.

Final bulb count for new plantings this fall, Battleground:

Red Devon Daffodil / Narcissus = 18 X 2 = 36
Anemone blanda Mix = 20 X 2 packages = 40
Nectaroscordum siculum = 15
Allium gladiator = 2
Replete Daffodil / Narcissus = 12
Allium Ivory Queen = 4
Quamash Cammasia = 8
Tulip Estella Rijnveld = 15 X 2 = 30 in containers
Tulip Purple Pink Mix = 18 in container
Fritillaria rubra "Crown Imperial" = 1
Fritillaria persica = "Persian lily" = 2

If all of these flowers bloom, that will mean 164 flowers from bulbs next Spring.  Plus the bulbs that I moved from Vancouver late summer.  Those I did not do a good job and they sat outside, a few getting moldy, so who knows.  Last Spring, I also moved multiple clumps of Narcissus/Daffodils and Hyacinthoides from Vancouver, wild guess 10 bulbs per clump, 10 clumps  = very roughly another 100 flowers.  Other than the tulips, most are proven deer and rabbit resistant here, and most are varieties that should proliferate once established.

2 comments:

  1. I was never much for bulbs except Granny gifted me an Amaryllis when I was just a boy, and in PA, the daffodil is just naturalized everywhere, no need to plant any. Seeing your Amaryllis reminds me that mine didn't bloom since I moved to this address, very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter here is so gloomy. When the bulbs start sticking up above the mulch - Feb as I recall, it picks me up a lot. It's not just the blooms, it's that they are so robust and start growing so soon.

    The Hyacinthoides is a weed here, but it is one of the few that is varmint resistant so there isn't a lot of choice. That and narcissus. Even Alliums, while they are not eaten by deer and rabbits, are a delicious treat for the massive NW slugs.

    ReplyDelete