Sunday, July 19, 2015

Freezer Jam. 7.17.15

Cut up enough plums for 2 cups.

Mix in 1 teaspoon of fruit preservative, vitamin C.
 I made my first batch of plum freezer jam.  Easier than expected and delicious.

I did the same thing with King figs, except chopped them by hand into about 1/2 inch pieces.  That was my first try, and I used 1 cup  of sugar, which was too sweet.
Dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoon low-sugar pectin in 1 cup water.

Heat to boil while stirring.  Boil one minute while stirring.

Mix the fruit with the pectin solution.  Mix in 1/2 cup sugar.


I like to pulse a couple of times in food processor but leave lots of chunks.
Ladle into fruit jars.  I used 4 ounce.

Cap, label, chill or freeze.



King Fig Jam.  7.17.15

2 comments:

  1. Oh Oh oH what's freeser jam? I make regular blackberry jam and loquat jams. I think that's best way to use all those ripe fruits. This yr my blackberry is a disaster, fruit fly lave have ruined my fruits, although I've a nice bumper crop. Hate to take a bite into maggots, yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggots might be high in protein, but I would not want to eat them either.

    Freezer jam is made with the fruit, sugar, pectin, and vitamin C for fruit preservative. The fruit is not cooked, so it's much easier. It keeps for 1 year in freezer, or 1 month in fridge.

    Blackberry jam sounds awesome! I want to learn how to make regular jam.

    ReplyDelete