Saturday, September 19, 2015

Walking Around. 9.17.15

Yellow Single Marigold.  9.19.15
 Random photos.

The heirloom french marigolds had some atypical plants.  A single yellow - the rest were doubles.  And a taller, looser double red.  That one had more marigold fragrance, looks like a reversion to earlier type.  I am saving seeds from both.  I like the difference.

Only 4 seeds from Ning's beans.  Not much to start a self-saved strain but better than zero seeds.\

Squashes ripening and curing now.  The first of many.

Illinois Everbearing Mulberry is a pale green.  Not due to insufficient nitrogen.  It's been that way every year, and in 2 locations.  Other trees nearby are fully green.

The Four Saved Chinese Bean Seeds.  9.17.15

Atypical Large Red French Marigold.  9.17.15
The first Chinese Haws here.    Great to have a start.

This is the Year of the Squashes.  Lots to eat during the winter.

Squashes So Far.  9.17.15

Mulberry Illinois Everbearing.  9.17.15

Chinese Haw Red SUn.  9.17.15

2 comments:

  1. Almost everything we grow need a window of opportunity for it to flourish. I think your Chinese is such a case. Also location is another factor. My friend David gave me some Chinese Amaranth seedlings just couple of week ago. I guess because I was on vacation, they died. His was going to seed while it was just 2 inches. My anastasi bean was rather low yield but I have enough to play with next yr. Looking forward to your beans grow better next yr. There's nothing better to have different kinds of beans. I like the Chinese Haw also so attractive looks like little apples. I think I would try it if I can find it; where you get it? Talking about apples, when I came back from vacation, all but 1 apple survived the coon attack. They must know I wasn't home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance, the Chinese Haw came from Raintree Nursery. I think One Green World also has them. And most likely other nurseries.

    ReplyDelete