Thursday, April 14, 2016

Grafting Tomato Plants. 4.13.16

Choosing similar size plants.
 This is my kitchen garden science experiement today. 

Tomatoes are grafted to provide increased vigor and productivity, and for disease resistance.

I obtained scion by growing seeds of tomato varieties that I like.  Among these are Better Boy, Supersweet 100, Sunny Boy, Sungold, and Roma.

I grew rootstock from seeds ordered from Johnny's Selected Seeds.  The variety is "Supernatural" which despite its name, is not GMO.
Try to match stem size.

Cut both stems with one slice, to match angle.
 Supernatural is specifically a rootstock variety.  It does not make edible fruits.

The seedlings are big enough to handle.  I chose each, tried to match stem sizes, sliced with razor blade, and attached with silicone clips.  I obtained the clips several years ago via internet search, but forget where.

Then I replanted each grafted seedling in moist seed starting medium, then misted the grafted seedlings and placed them into a humidity chamber.  I made the humidity chamber using a plastic wastebasket, an old Tee shirt moistened to increase humidity, and covered with plastic wrap.  This set-up is now in a closet, where it needs to be kept in the dark for 3 days.

I have never done this before.  I don't know if it will work.
Line up and attach silicone clip.

Tomato version of "Play Misty For me"

Humid and dark for 3 days.  Waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment