Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Milkweed Plants, year #3. 5.24.17

Milkweed Asclepias syriaca.  Year#3.  5.24.17
These are common milkweed, Asclepius syriaca, that I grew from seeds in 2015.  They have a beautiful, unique, fragrant, pink flower.  During their first year, the plants were delicate-looking, very thin fragile stems and small plants.  During their second year, they grew much sturdier stems, and bloomed during the summer.    Flower photo is same plant, July 2016.

Last fall, I dug up two of the milkweed plants, and transplanted them to a front yard flower bed.  They do not appear to have survived.  I read they are difficult to transplant, interesting for such a sturdy-looking plant.

These plants seem to be the last to start growing.  They must need a lot of warmth to break dormancy.  Almost everything else has leafed out, before the milkweeds showed any sign of life.  I thought they were dead.  The same thing happened last year.  Then I was walking around, and saw they fooled me once again. 

Asclepias syriaca.  Jul 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment