Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bud Grafting Update. 9.20.14

Tart Cherry.  9.20.14
Apple 1.  9.20.14

Apple 2.  9.20.14
 I've been very ill for 2 weeks, starting to recover.  No fever and back to work.  Still a lot of fatigue.

So gardening has lapsed.  Not much is lost, some wilting due to not watering.

The grafts mostly look pretty good, going into fall.   Now they should be uncovered.

Most of the tart cherry grafts appear to have taken.

Most if not all of the plums took.   The Satsuma tree died, so that doesn't count.

I only budded two apple buds, onto the 3-way grafted tree.  So if they take, it will be a 4-way tree.  These are un-named, from neighbor tree.  Small, McIntosh type, maybe small due to lack of care.  One looks more viable than the other.

A couple of the Sweet Cherry bud grafts did not take.  Most look like they did.

At least one lilac didn't take.  The others, I don't know.  The one that didn't take looked plump, but it fell off.
Asian Plum.  9.20.14

Sweet Cherry.  9.20.14
Grafting was one of the most fun parts of gardening this year.  I learned a lot, it's really easy, and kind of an adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you were sick. Hope you are feeling all better.
    I've never seen a light yellow fig like that, very interesting.
    I can see your chip bud wood is more generous then mine and your cut on the stock is much bigger then mine. I'll try to do thing a little differently. I was not aware that I can bud during the warmer season like what you do. My budding season is winter time when everything is very dormant. I'm looking for a Calville Blanc l'hiver, suppose to be the best apple. Have not seen it in any garden. Maybe be very hard to find any budding material. My 2nd wish is to graft a Golden Russet which I have an easy access to cuttings which is a very sweet apple, very rich with buttery flavor.
    I broke the bank and bough a michealia champaka alba. I found a street tree that has the orange champaka which I can try to graft it on. As you know one variety of a good thing is just not enough; I think you will agree with me. Lastly, I found a bunch of ginko nuts in a park that I can play with. I've been wanting to get my hands on. Warning the smell is of the nuts' poo poo plus old socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes. It's been tough.

    You are right about wanting more varieties. I am thinking now to try budding figs. I have more than enough trees, so if I can bud multi varieties on the same tree, it will save garden space.

    If you click on my index, on ginkgo, you can see my efforts. I just clean of the seeds, wash them, and plant the seeds outside in the Fall. This usually gets good germination in the Spring. I didn't collect any this year because I have grown so many, I don't know what to do with them.

    I haven't heard of michealia champaka alba - will have to look that up.

    Thanks for your comments. I really enjoy them. Very much.

    http://growinggreener.blogspot.com/search/label/Ginkgo%20biloba

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check out your ginkgo method.
    I'm not a fan of eating the nuts but the tree is so beautiful.

    Michelia alba has white flowers and consider by most Asians the most fragrant flowers. Its an offering at Buddhist and hindu temples also called the"white sandalwood" maybe its use in packaging, making boxes. I can't see the wood being hard enough other then cheap wood.M. champaca has a slightly different scent yet very rich. If you want to see what stuff I grow check out my facebook --Lance Mellon in SF, CA. I enjoy your bounty and the info/photos for growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled on Michelia alba. Very beautiful. I have a feeling I wouldbe very chalkenged to grow one here.

    Not on Facebook right now but I really appreciate your comments here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect Michelia will be a greenhouse plant in your area. As a potted plant, it can be move in and out of doors like your fig. You don't need to join facebook to see my photos. I've collected a lot of gingko seeds. I need to give it cold spell to germinate, my winter has little frost. Last yr was the warmest of them all.

    ReplyDelete