Sunday, April 12, 2015

Crimson Pointe Plum Fruit Set. 4.11.15

Crimson Pointe Plum Fruit Set.  4.11.15

Crimson Pointe Fruit Set.  4.11.15
 Crimson Pointe plum has impressive fruit set this year.  Last year there were none at all.  The year before, about 3 or 4 plums.

I'm not sure what changed.  I did hand pollinate with flowers from Hollywood plum and Shiro.   I left those branches in the tree for insect pollination, too.   Maybe that was it, or temperature / rain difference.

Looks like potential for a great crop.

There is Charlie, always nearby.


2 comments:

  1. Have a hit or miss pollination problem. One peach and one plum have no fruit at all. I didn't know there was no pollination until it was too late. I guess it bloom too soon and the other tree wasn't blooming at the sametime. Cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I like to graft other varieties within the same tree. I feel like it improves my chances for good pollination and fruit set. But Crimson Pointe is ornamental for the columnar shape and color, so I haven't grafted onto that one.

    Charlie is my best friend. 14 years old.

    ReplyDelete