Thursday, November 10, 2016

Saijo Persimmons. 11.9.16

Saijo Persimmons, with Nikita's Gift for Comparison.  11.9.16

Saijo Persimmon.  11.9.16
I placed Saijo Persimmons into a plastic box with apples for ripening, for a few days.  They are now very soft and sweet with no atringency at all.  Nice flavor.  I think I like the Nikita's Gift better, but if I had not tried those, I would like the Saijo a lot.

Only 8 persimmons on the Saijo tree, but that's OK.  This is my first taste of this variety and this is the first year of any persimmons in my orchard.  Very nice.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip my fuyus did not ripen very well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, there are various methods for ripening persimmons. I like using apples or bananas, because they produce the natural ethylene gas that ripens fruits. You can also freeze, then thaw, the persimmons. I tried that but I thought the flavor was less and did not care for the texture.

    ReplyDelete