Monday, May 08, 2017

Persimmons about to bloom. 5.8.17

New Growth with Flower Buds, Saijo Persimmon.  5.7.17

New Growth with Flower Buds, Nikita's Gift Persimmon.  5.7.17
 Persimmon trees are wise to the ways of Spring.  They wait to be among the last to bloom.  New growth has started.  Flower buds form in leaf axils of new stems.  It may be a month before they are fully open, but with nice warm weather and sunshine, possibly sooner.

I've never seen Chocolate persimmon bloom.  Since this cultivar has both male and female flowers, I'm guessing two shapes of buds represent the 2 sexes of flowers.

This will be the first time for Yates American persimmon.  Will there be fruit this fall?  If so, that will be my first taste of American persimmons.
New Growth with Flower Buds, Coffee Cake Persimmon.  5.7.17

New Growth with Flower Buds, Yates Persimmon.  5.7.17
Edit 5.31.17  I had incorrectly stated "Chocolate Persimmon."  This graft is the variety "Coffee Cake".  To make it even more confusing, "Coffee Cake" is probably more accurately called "Nishimura Wase", while "Chocolate" is probably  more accurately called "maru".  I tried to find scion for chocolate persimmon this year, but did not find any.  "Coffee Cake" needs a pollenizer for its best flavor, and neither Saijo nor Nikita's gift make male flowers, while "Chocolate" does.

4 comments:

  1. You're in for a tasty treat, Daniel! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are male flowers on your Chocolate. Your Saijo may have seeds this year. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jafar. We'll see what they do. If there are seeds, that is excellent. I need to change the entry, this is coffee cake, not chocolate. I get them mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sirena Rowe6:27 PM

    Hello! My name is Sirena and I am an intern with Indiana Phenology, a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to citizen science and data collection across Indiana. I am interested in using an image from this post for an educational phenophase photo guide I am working on. Please email me at srowe@indianaphenology.org to get in touch! Best, Sirena

    ReplyDelete